Thursday, August 6, 2015

eBay bargain = new project

Back in October 2014, when wandering on a well known auction website, an offer caught my attention. This was about a damaged repairable 2001 Honda 600 Hornet that had covered around 25k miles and which seemed like it could look good with really little efforts. 

I had one of these in 2002. It was fun and taught me a lot about riding a motorcycle with its wide bars, revy engine and featherweight feel. Seeing this bike in blue (just like mine) brought a lot of memories :  from the day I went to catch it with a friend, to the thousands miles covered on rides and meetings. It never let me down (well except from a snapping clutch cable that I fixed on the road side) and had good laughs on it.

Anyway, after a couple of days observing the auction, the price stayed rather low and there was suddenly the possibility of having a Hornet again. I placed a bid and won at ... very little money. I won't mention the price as it was really a steal. The pictures below are when we took delivery west of London.



From this post on, the story of this bike will be related here, from the strip to the complete rebuild (still not finished at the time of writing this one), from the discovery of an overall really tatty bike to the sometimes unnecessary salvation of hidden parts.

No comments: