Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Random from the archive


Abstract:
Back in 2005, I was looking for another project bike. I had already played with the idea of rebuilding a Kawasaki ZX7R P model in 2001, but stayed on the reasonable path and chose a ZX6R F model instead with co-builder Tom. When I heard there was one to sell at some new breaker I had not dealt with yet, I decided to pay the latter a visit and look at the stock. The bike you see on the picture is what I've been presented with as being the said ZX7R for sale. Of course I knew this was a damage bike - after all I was visiting a breaker - but this very bike was anything but a damaged repairable. Picture this, the side displayed here is the best of both. A close inspection revealed multiple deep dents on frame, swing arm and wheels, broken triple trees, bent subframe, smashed gas tank and torn downpipes and the list goes on and on. There were not enough recoverable parts to excuse the asked price. Every time I mention that breaker to someone who knows him, the same is always said about him : "he sells dogs for gold money".

PS : Some may also have observed the smashed 955i Speed Triple on the foreground. Nothing was salvageable on that one either.

No comments: